Balsamic and Basil Marinated Steak with Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
.jpg)
Happy New Year! I'm so excited to be doing my 5th official whole30! This is the 3rd January whole30 in a row that I've done. Each one is a little different and the results seem to only be better with each round. If you search my blog for "whole30" you will find a ton of recipes, info about me and my experiences, and tips from me.
Some of you joined me in my last whole30, and I hope many more will this time too. A group makes you accountable and keeps everyone on track. The group will be entirely on Instagram. I don't want anyone to feel like they need to use my blog to do this. We will support one another using the hashtag #plgwhole30 I will be posting recipes and mini challenges all month, so stay tuned and subscribe to my blog if you haven't already!
Balsamic and Basil Marinated Skirt Steak with Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
This recipe is from my second ebook, Modern Paleo Holiday Cuisine. The book is a holiday edition, but most of the recipes are any day recipes, like this one. I love this recipe because it's so fancy pants and flavorful, you will never feel like you are doing some kind of detox or elimination diet. I like this best with grassfed skirt steak, but any steak will be delicious. Try to marinate overnight if possible. You will have extra pesto, slather that stuff on a baked potato, toss with some Zoodles, or use on some protein in your next meal.Steak Marinade
1 lb skirt steak (any steak)1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil (or 1 tbsp dried basil)1 tbsp fresh minced garlic (or 1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
1/2 cup fresh basil, packed
1/2 cup roasted red peppers
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large garlic clove
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
.jpg)
Directions:
1. Marinate steak in gallon sized plastic bag or Tupperware overnight or a minimum of 4 hours.
2. Pan sear steak in ghee or grill until cooked to your preference.
3. While steak is cooking, prepare pesto.
4. Add all pesto ingredients to food processor and pulse until combined into a pesto texture.
5. Serve pesto on top of cooked steak.
Enjoy!
.jpg)


Alanna, have you ever made the pesto with something other than pine nuts? I just haven't justified the cost yet - soo expensive :( and wondering if there's a good substitute?
ReplyDeletetry walnuts. I use them in pesto all the time
ReplyDeleteMade this tonight. Absolutely phenomenal! Followed the recipe. My new favorite. It's crazy to be eating this spectacular of a meal on a Whole 30.
ReplyDeleteDid you roast your own red peppers or did you use store bought roasted red peppers?
DeleteWe can't have nuts over here any way pumpkin seeds would work??
ReplyDeleteI have used pumpkin seeds before and it's delicious! I have also used sunflower seeds and it's equally good
ReplyDeleteYou can also buy a small package in the baking section as well! Still expensive but you are only buying what you need and it's less than $2.
ReplyDeleteSubbed roasted walnuts for pine nuts. Amazing.
ReplyDeleteMade this and it was delicious! I've posted a photo on my instagram Jill.with.love :)
ReplyDeleteI roasted my own! Great flavor! Roast them on the BBQ and then wrap them in a wet paper towel for 10-15 minutes to steal them. The skins come off much easier this way.
ReplyDeleteThis recipe had way too much salt for my taste. I had to add extra peppers and extra olive oil to mitigate the salt. It ended up being edible but not very good.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteThere are many important and useful services that are of interest to everyone see also :
https://www.bfirstseo.com/جلى-بلاط-رخام-بالرياض/
شركة غسيل خزانات بالرياض
شركة غسيل خزانات مياه الشرب بالرياض